Sunday, October 08, 2006

Business before Pleasure

What's in a name? Well you've probably noticed the link I have to the Avon website so it's safe to assume that's the connection, and not that I hail from the Bristol area. Yorkshire born and bred in actual fact.

So I'm an Avon 'lady'. Well, actually a Sales Leader, which means I have recruited and trained a team of Avon Representatives, to give us our proper name, since there are now more than a few Avon 'gentlemen'. There's money in it, you see.

I've worked with Avon for about 4 years now. In my previous life I worked for the same insurance company for over 20years. Well it would have been the same company if it hadn't merged twice with other companies and changed its name even more times. My company was the Scottish one. I'll leave you to guess. I was very happy there for nearly 20years and even fought for my job (and kept it) the first time round. I was a team manager, so it was worth keeping. By the second merger I was ready to jump (literally off the top of a tall building) and they were happy to push me. So I ran off as quick as I could with my nice wad of dosh and have kept running away from a 'proper' job ever since (although a couple of temporary ones caught up with me when I was off my guard).

I've bought Avon all my life so when I left work I thought becoming a Representative would be a good way to make sure I got out a bit, while I decided what I wanted to do for the next 20years. I didn't realise it would take over my life! And the house. I discovered I was actually quite good at it, and I've increased my sales every year since, so I am now one of the top 250 representatives in the UK (out of around 160,000).

I became a Sales Leader about 3years ago. I'm not so good at that, but I have a lovely team who all work very hard and we all earn a bit of money from it.

Now I only set up this blog last night, and today I find I have had 38 visits. Is this the power of the Avon name? Hmmm, could be. Perhaps it's 38 of my poker mates from the Punter's Lounge forum (more about that later) checking in? Maybe. But probably, it's just one or two of them (you know who you are!) coming back 38 times to look at the lady with the hosepipe in the Avon link.

Whoever, thankyou for browsing, enjoy the link, and I'll call back shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home